Drivers must carry minimum amounts of auto insurance on their vehicle at all times to comply with state laws. Failure to carry the minimum amounts of car insurance coverage is a crime that can result in suspension of your driving privileges, vehicle registration, and other consequences. Many people cite the expense of car insurance as the top reason they lack coverage. If you’re in this category, use the five money-saving techniques below to find a great-priced policy at a cost you’re comfortable paying.
1. Compare: Dozens of auto insurance providers are out there. No two companies charge the same rates for coverage or provide the same level of service. Many online tools make comparing car insurance costs with various companies simple. It’s free and helpful, so always compare rates before you buy.
2. Ask for Discounts: Auto insurance discounts are there for the taking. If you’re not offered discounts, ask for them. Most insurers offer a plethora of discounts you can take advantage of for spectacular savings.
3. Increase Your Deductible: Increasing the standard deductible amount puts more risk on your shoulders but if you are a safe driver, that shouldn’t affect you too badly. The increased deductible rate is a great way to keep insurance costs down.
4. Drive Safely: Breaking laws and getting into car accidents increase auto insurance rates. Even one speeding ticket is bad news. Avoid these infractions and you’ll enjoy lowest costs for your coverage when it is time to buy.
5. Choose Your Car Wisely: Although it is a myth that car color increases auto insurance rates, what is true is that the type of car you drive affects pricing. Sports cars and luxury cars are most expensive to insure. If you want affordable car insurance washington dc, choose an efficient compact vehicle.